Saturday, February 14, 2009

Yes

I used to be that person who always say 'yes' to everything.

But it got tiring in the end because I said 'yes' ALL THE TIME, even if I didn't want to.
And it got worse when I wasn't sure of what I really want anymore.
Often, you realised too, that people tend to take advantage on your inability to say 'no'.

Then I pushed myself into that 'no' era.
I said 'no' to things I wasn't up to.
And then I said 'no' to things I wasn't sure of.
And then I said 'no' to most things in life.

It became a habit.
I stopped to get involved or to commit.

Maybe because I perceived most people as trying to get something out of me.
Maybe because after a lot of resting, I resorted to life without much responsibilities and it was pretty difficult to walk out of that comfort zone.
Maybe because I was not engaged in things for quite a while and I was not sure if I am enough for anything anymore.

Today, I watched the show 'Yes Man'.

Funny. I see myself in that show. But the opposite version of it.

It reminded me of something I long forgotten.

Yes. Say yes.

'Yes' embraces possibilities.
'Yes' opens up doors.
You never know what's waiting for you if you don't step in and try.

Yes, it might turn out to be a really bad thing, but you learn and you experience.
Yes, it might be something very different from what you expect, but what's wrong with surprises?
Yes, it might be tiring, but at the very least, you open up your eyes and stretch out your arms and taste what's in life.

Don't restrict yourself. Don't close up the doors. Don't cut your wings off if you want to fly.

Yes.
But the trick is say yes only if you want to.

Not too sure?
Try it out then.

:)

p.s. I recalled back all the 'yes-es' I said previously. Somehow they turned out to be something good. I remembered last year I said 'yes' to help out with Malaysian Night when I was so busy (and I really wanted to say 'no'). And guess what? This year when I couldn't get my tickets, I got them as a favour in return for my 'yes'.

Trust me. It does lead to something good.
It really depends on how you define 'good' though. :p

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaming 'wow! what a ride!'.

I used to write this in my personal statement.
I guess I had a short-term memory lost. hehe.
But gratefully, it's all coming back again.

1 comment:

pigcarsoul said...

You had that experience when people tend to take advantage on your inability to say 'no'. So now, you should know when to say yes,when to say no;to whom you should say yes,to whom you say no.And I agree that we will definitely gain something after saying yes someday, but when we say yes, we don't really think what will we gain,right?