After negotiation skills workshop, I took a bus home.
Given the fact that it's 5.30pm in the evening, the bus was so full people can barely move.
The lady driver managed to pull over at the train station after making a big, difficult turn at the relatively small roundabout.
Great! The station! More people coming up. -.-
Looking away from the queue outside the bus (and quietly letting out a long sigh), I caught a glimpse of some slight movements among the standing crowd.
There was this girl in a wheelchair trying to get off the bus.
But the bus was so packed that the wheelchair could barely squeeze through.
The driver (being helpful but in a rather impolite manner) shouted with a low, rough voice - 'EVERYONE MOVE!'
After the surprisingly expected bellow, all the students, even the old ladies tried to push their bodies against the wall to spare her some space.
The driver then without further hesitation, grabbed a yellow board and laid it on to flatten off the gap between the bus and the pavement.
She moved those very inflexible wheels. She made a sharp U-turn.
But with a great deal of effort.
Anyway, she managed to get off the bus after 5 minutes without running over someone's feet.
Even those people who were desperately lining up to get up the bus just now made a few steps away from the door for her.
She then, with her head down and her hands on the wheels, headed towards the station.
It then struck me:
If I am the girl sitting on the wheelchair - looking at these people kindly offering their help....
should I be happy or sad?
I wonder.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OMG! I almost sob for this sorry...
Post a Comment