Thursday, March 5, 2009

Shopaholic

Influenced by my very eng-lit friend Chien Fen, I am determined to read at least a couple of English novels.

So I walked into WHS Smith several weeks ago right before my fashion course.
After picking up some chocolate bars, I quickly browsed through the novel section.
Was very tempted to pick up 'Twilight' since my sisters were pretty crazy about it for quite some time, until 'The Devil Wears Prada' came into my sight.

Wait! That's my book isn't it?
I am attending a fashion course in five minutes time.
I should be reading something related to Prada or Gucci or Dolce & Gabbana.
Not Shakespeare or Michael Crichton (sadly he passed away in a battle against cancer)

So I took a quick look at the back of the book.
'Sassy, insightful and sooo Sex and the City'.

Alright! Sex and the City! That's it!
I walked to the till with a copy of 'The Devil Wears Prada' by Lauren Weisberger.


***

Again, I was standing right in front of WHS Smith at London King Cross yesterday.
Again, I was feeling like a literate - I have to read something while waiting for Danny.

But this time I am going to get something different.
More philosophical perhaps.

So I went straight to the top-selling chart.
These books should be good.
If not, they are at least popular.

Fiction? Nope.
Twilight...AGAIN?
Few weeks have passed, and it's still on the rack??!
One very cynical thought suddenly crept up on me - do they actually update their charts?

I think they do.
They should.

OK. Let's see.
Many eye-catching yellow labels sticking on the books, so yellow as if they are going to pop out any second - 'Buy one and get another at 1/2 price.'

This is one thing I like about England.
The musuems are free. The papers are free. Correction - some papers are free.
And now even the novels are on promotion.
How can it not be a civilised nation??!

OKOK.
About the 1/2 price thingy - it has nothing to do with civilization. I guess it's just one of the after effects of the economic crisis.
Hehe..but who cares?

Then I glanced through the titles, which I was supposed to do at the first place.

'Confessions of a Shopaholic'
. OK no more 'fashion literature'.
Next.

'Shopaholic Ties the Knot'. What? Again?
Next.

'Shopaholic and Sister'.

Fine.....
This author must be really good, and rich of course. (provided that the chart is truthful though)
It is even made into a movie - it must be good then.
But I guess mostly because a part of me (I have to admit - a very big part of me) is very interested in this interesting shopaholic series of novels.

So here comes the very predictable ending - I bought two of the series.
And I finished one of them yesterday.
And IT'S SO GOOD.

I experienced most of the things she said - like got tricked into Spring bags and all sorts of promotional strategies. And all those excuses you came out to feel less guilty about buying something totally unnecessary.

***

Well I guess we should somehow get inspired after reading a novel.

So here you go - my inspirations:

First. I should go get the other books in the series.

I thought it should be inspirational??

Well, I've to say it's good market positioning. For very obvious reasons - targetting on shopaholics is always the right thing to do. And it's absolutely brilliant to write an entire series on it. Because shopaholics will ALWAYS come back for the next season. :)

- Right, I guess this is one good inspiration. -


Second. I am a shopaholic afterall.

- Sincere confession and realisation - very inspirational! -

Third. One great thing about being a shopaholic - I AM NOT AT ALL ALONE! :)


- Very very inspirational. keke. -


So what are you waiting for? Another thing on your shopping list:
Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.

No comments: